What is TPE?
Thermoplastic elastomers (TPEs) are a polymer material with the characteristics of thermoset vulcanized rubber and thermoplastic. TPEs display high elasticity of thermoset vulcanized rubber at room temperature and good processability at high temperatures.
A thermoplastic elastomer must fulfill the following three essential characteristics:
- The ability to be stretched to moderate elongations and, upon the removal of stress, return to something close to its original shape
- Melt Processable
- Absence of significant creep
- Excellent compression set and flex fatigue
- High and low temperature performanc
- Very good electrical insulation properties
- Heat and oil resistance (within a specific temperature range)
- Low permeability and colorable
- Can be produced in a variety of durometers
Due to its rubber-like properties, TPE has replaced rubber significantly in several applications. You’ll find TPE in applications like:
- Medical devices
- Automobile parts
- Household goods such as power tool handles
- Mobile phone covers.
What is TPU?
Thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) is a melt-processable thermoplastic elastomer with high durability and flexibility. TPU is one subset of TPE. You’ll find TPU in a number of applications across many uses and industries like automotive, agriculture, TPU sheets, seals & gaskets, textile coatings, sports & leisure, belts and profiles, tubes & hoses.
- Excellent tensile strength
- High elongation at break
- Good load-bearing capacity
- Good abrasion resistance & tear strength
- Good stiffness properties
- Low friction coefficient (depends on hardness)
- Good weather resistance
- UV Resistance
- Soft Touch/High Comfort of Use for Ergonomic Applications
TPU has a high resistance to abrasion, making it a perfect choice for applications that need to maintain their aesthetic appeal, such as:
- interior automotive parts
- wires and cables
- breathable films for leisure
- sports and textile coatings
- weatherable, non-yellowing films etc.
Reschcor is the industry’s leading supplier for quality, custom-engineered plastic extrusion manufacturing. We pride ourselves on our ability to create a custom solution for even the most challenging of problems. Reschcor’s capabilities utilize 23 production lines covering a wide output range operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We have extensive experience processing both pellet and powder formulations. Our state-of-the-art downstream equipment and advanced air, water and vacuum systems allow us to succeed with profiles of any shape or size. Contact Reschcor today so we can learn more about your company and understand how we can help your business succeed.