What is Polyethylene?
Polyethylene (PE) is the most commonly used plastic on the market today. PE is durable, flexible, and easily recyclable. There are several types of Polyethylene available, making it extremely versatile and perfect for many applications across diverse industries. You often find PE in trash bags and grocery bags or in larger applications like canoes and kayaks.
Types of Polyethylene
There are several types of Polyethylene, each with its own specific characteristics.
- Low-density polyethylene (LDPE), electrically insulating, translucent, weather-resistant, and displays toughness at low temperatures.
- Linear low-density polyethylene (LLDPE), structurally similar to LDPE. Very flexible/strong, translucent, good chemical resistance.
- High-density polyethylene (HDPE), flexible, translucent/waxy, weather-resistant, and displays toughness at very low temperatures.
- Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMWPE), high abrasion resistance, impact strength, and low coefficient of friction. Suitable for high wear applications and the most aggressive or corrosive environments.
Cross-linked polyethylene (PEX or XLPE), High electrical and insulation properties, high abrasion resistance, and mechanically tougher.
- Rigidity- Polyethylene retains its shape very well making it great for plastic applications like lawn edging.
- Durability- PE is less likely to puncture, tear, or rip. We often see this plastic in applications such as trash bags or grocery bags.
- Recyclability- PE is highly recyclable and can be recycled to make products like furniture, flooring, tubing, trash cans, and more.
- Lightweight- Polyethylene is lightweight making it a great choice when weight reduction is a consideration.
- Flexible- PE is strong, puncture-resistant, and more likely to flex than break.
- UV Resistance – the ability to add UV inhibitors makes it a good choice for exterior applications.
There are many grades of Polyethylene available. You can find PE in many applications such as:
- Packaging bottles & films
- Medical and healthcare
- Pipes, Hoses & Fittings
- Lawn and Garden
- Wire & Cable
Reschcor is the industry’s leading supplier for quality, custom-engineered plastic extrusion manufacturing. We pride ourselves on our ability to create a custom solution for even the most challenging of problems. Reschcor’s capabilities utilize 23 production lines covering a wide output range operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We have extensive experience processing both pellet and powder formulations. Our state-of-the-art downstream equipment and advanced air, water and vacuum systems allow us to succeed with profiles of any shape or size. Contact Reschcor today so we can learn more about your company and understand how we can help your business succeed.